Storm Ideas work with globally-recognised clients in the US TV industry on extraordinary digital and marketing projects. Every day we produce work that is innovative, challenging and enjoyed by millions of people!
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our growing, technical team.
If the idea of a fast-paced, dynamic role with tonnes of opportunity for change, responsibility and innovation sounds exciting to you, then read on!
Founded in 2008, we are an Edinburgh and Warsaw-based team that works with incredible clients all over the world, particularly in the US TV industry.
Whether it’s developing our own products, producing engaging social content en masse, or designing and delivering services to help our clients work more efficiently, our work is varied, exciting and at the very forefront of the latest technology and trends.
Currently, we are a growing team of 80+ people but still looking for new colleagues who make an impact and believe in the same ideas and values as we do.
What do we believe in?
We believe that happy people are productive people. We believe in a lightweight process with no time-tracking. We believe in autonomy, mastery and purpose. We believe in small teams of talented people that take ownership and responsibility for their projects. We believe we are a perfect place for talented people to grow, make their mark and work on things that mean something.
How we work?
We have flexible working hours so you can start your day anytime between 8am and 11am. You’ll have a daily standup with the team of the project you are working on. Some days you’ll need to be flexible to work later if there’s a key delivery to a US client, but any time can be taken back.
Joining Storm means becoming an integral part of the whole team no matter where we’re physically working. There’s only an hour difference between our teams in Edinburgh and Warsaw, so time won’t be an issue!
This role is 100% remote, with the opportunity to work in a shared space in Warsaw with the rest of the team once a month.
What can you expect?
- Attracting, retaining and developing engineering talent
- Supervising and mentoring engineers of different seniority levels
- Influencing and inspiring excellence in engineers related to both project work and their self-development
- Shaping and driving our engineering culture in partnership with the CTO
- Leading and understanding the architecture design process, which includes contributing to day-to-day software development challenges
- Putting in place and continuously improving quality practices
- Optimizing team efficiency
- Standing up for both your team and the organization if you feel decisions are not in the best interests of either
- Serving as a technology leader with a strong focus on quality, performance, scalability and maintainability
What's important to us:
- Experience leading a team of software developers to deliver projects
- At least 5 years experience in the industry
- Experience conducting 1-1s
- Commitment to pursuing best practices in software development
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience working with business stakeholders and contributing to business concerns (e.g. pitches, presentations, roadmaps, etc)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good, practical knowledge of English in speech and writing
What’s nice to have:
- Experience taking part in hiring processes and running interviews
- A demonstrable occasion where you led a major change initiative in a previous role (for example, introducing code review to a team of developers)
- A demonstrable example of taking ownership of a situation in a previous role
Full-Time B2B Contract. Remote 100%
24,000-31,000 PLN per month, commensurate with experience.
- 33 paid days off
- High end laptop of your choice, Mac or Windows it’s up to you! Also, monitor, headphones, keyboard, mouse – the choice is yours
- Private medical cover – Medicover
- Company contribution to a Multisport card
- Growth and development budget
- Full refund for a trip to Edinburgh – we would love to meet you in person and meet from time to time in Poland or Scotland ;)
What you can expect if you’re invited to interview: First, you will meet Anna, our HR Manager, in a 45-minute pre-interview via Zoom. We usually ask about your previous experience, future career path and motivation for changing your job, as well as provide you with more details about our projects and working in our team.
If the interview goes well, we will invite you to a second step – a technical interview (60 minutes via Zoom). During the meeting, Dave, Technical Director, asks about your technical capabilities plus anything not covered in the pre-interview, and at the same time answers all your questions. The next step is a task (don’t worry we respect your time and always pay for getting the job done – anyway it shouldn’t take more than 5 hours of your work). The last step is the final interview (60 minutes) with CTO – it’s a mix of technical and culture-fit questions.
And that’s it!
To apply for this position, please send your CV, your portfolio and a couple of words about yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org