Storm Ideas work with globally-recognised clients in the US TV industry on extraordinary digital and marketing projects. Every day we produce work that is innovative, challenging and enjoyed by millions of people!
We are looking for a talented Front End Developer to join our growing technical team. If the idea of building world class webapps in a dynamic role with tonnes of opportunity for impact, responsibility and innovation sounds exciting to you, then read on!
Founded in 2008, we are an Edinburgh and Warsaw-based team that works with incredible clients all over the world, particularly in the US TV industry.
Whether it’s developing our own products, producing engaging social content en masse, or designing and delivering services to help our clients work more efficiently, our work is varied, exciting and at the very forefront of the latest technology and trends.
Currently, we are a growing team of 80+ people but still looking for new colleagues who make an impact and believe in the same ideas and values as we do.
What do we believe in?
We believe that happy people are productive people. We believe in a lightweight process with no time-tracking. We believe in autonomy, mastery and purpose. We believe in small teams of talented people that take ownership and responsibility for their projects. We believe we are a perfect place for talented people to grow, make their mark and work on things that mean something.
How we work?
We have flexible working hours so you can start your day anytime between 8am and 11am. You’ll have a daily standup with the team of the project you are working on. Some days you’ll need to be flexible to work later if there’s a key delivery to a US client, but any time can be taken back.
We’re a remote-first company and support 100% remote working for this role. While we do have some data infrastructure and people who work in our Edinburgh office, the majority of our staff work remotely, so no matter where you are in the UK, please still apply.
What can you expect? You'll be creating great user experiences from Figma designs by working with designers and other developers, and writing accessible and reliable front end code that works efficiently on all modern browsers.
- Working on websites for some of the biggest names in the US entertainment industry, as well as working on our own products like Storyteller.
- Working with the latest web technologies, this mostly means HTML, CSS, JS, React and TypeScript.
- Contributing to our internal front-end SDK.
- Working with build tools like NPM and Webpack.
- Using Git and GitHub to collaborate on code.
- Using tools like Storybook to build and test components.
- Using Trello, Slack and Zoom to communicate with team members.
- Working with designers and other developers to build websites from specs produced in Figma.
- Testing your code on different browsers and devices.
- Testing and measuring performance using tools like Lighthouse.
- Learning and improving upon our internal coding standards.
- Self-evaluating and reviewing your own work, as well as providing feedback on code written by other team members.
- Developing your own skills by learning from other team members and through independent research.
- Deciding when to use an NPM packages, which package to use or whether to write your own code, and sharing your decision making process.
What's important to us:
- A minimum of 2 years experience in a similar role.
- A relevant degree, we may consider additional professional experience in lieu of a degree.
- Excellent HTML, CSS and JS fundamentals - can write semantic and accessible HTML, and build websites that are performant on modern browsers and devices.
- Experience using component driven development to efficiently craft first-class web experiences.
- A desire to build fantastic user experiences on the web.
- Know how to write CSS and have experience using at least one methodology for keeping it maintainable, we normally use ITCSS with SCSS and component driven development.
- Ability to learn and apply best practices during development for the purpose of keeping code maintainable, readable and performant.
- Has an interest in creating well-crafted user experiences, an interest in UI/UX design is a bonus too.
What’s nice to have:
- Understanding of progressive enhancement and uses it to habitually build the best user experiences for the most users possible.
- Some React experience is desirable, if you don’t have React experience you must be keen to learn.
- Experience using unit tests or experience with test driven development.
Permanent / Full time. Either in office or remote.
£30,000 – 50,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
- 33 days’ holiday
- High end laptop of your choice, Mac or Windows it’s up to you!
- Your own choice monitors, headphones, keyboard, mouse and gel rests
- Paid training on the job
- Annual Flu Inoculations
- Team outings and monthly meets
AFTER 3 MONTHS
- Up to £700 to spend on a chair, desk or any other necessary workspace equipment to kit out your home office.
- £625 budget every two years to choose your own mobile phone + monthly mobile contract paid for
- Enrolment in workplace pension scheme with matched employer contributions
- Money towards glasses with Specsavers
- Full refund for an annual trip to Warsaw to meet your colleagues in Poland
AFTER 1 YEAR
- Performance Related Pay Scheme giving an annual bonus of up to 100% of monthly salary whenever Storm Ideas is in profit
- Access to the Cycle to Work scheme
What you can expect if you’re invited to interview:
First, you will meet Anna, our HR Manager, in a 45-minute pre-interview via Zoom. We usually ask about your previous experience, future career path and motivation for changing your job, as well as provide you with more details about our projects and working in our team.
If the interview goes well, we will invite you to a second step – a technical task (don’t worry we respect your time and always pay for getting the job done). The last step is the final interview (60 minutes) with Dave, our Technical Director and Jason Gilmour, Lead Product Designer – it’s a mix of technical and culture-fit questions.
And that’s it!
To apply for this position, please send your CV and a couple of words about yourself to email@example.com.